Custody Issues | 5 Tips For Child Custody Modification

Often times there may be circumstances such as being laid off from your job, an unexpected trip to the hospital, or change in marital status where child custody and support modification is needed. Modification may involve lowering child support payments or receiving more child support. Therefore parents must agree on the change or have the judge order the change. If you think you need to modify your child custody and support agreement, consider the following five tips:

  1. Plan Ahead: If you foresee changes happening that will affect your ability to pay child support, act quickly. Be responsible and inform all the appropriate parties. There are circumstances that may arise such as an injury or job loss as well as career change.
  2. Inform Yourself: Keep yourself informed and up-to-date with the latest state rules and regulations. Consult with your family law attorney and also the Georgia Department of Human Services website for all child support services information and important notices.
  3. Talk with the other parent to reach an agreement: Keep in mind your child custody and support agreement is agreed upon both the parents. Be civil and cooperative while undergoing changes to your agreement. If additional litigation is needed, it can be very costly and time consuming to reach an agreement. It’s in your best interest to be able to agree outside of the courtroom.
  4. Keep making child support payments to the best of your ability: Continue to make your payments as required under your current child support order. The existing child support order remains in effect until the court issues a new child support order. It will only hurt you in the long run if you let your child support payments lapse and go unpaid.
  5. Document your changes: If there are any changes to your current situation be sure to record all changes. Present any and necessary documents to your family law attorney and parties involved that may affect your modified child custody and support agreement.

If and when you have finalized your child support modification, be sure to file your request with the appropriate court and have it served to the other parent.

Speak with a caring child custody and support attorney. Our firm’s founder Mary Stearns-Montgomery has extensive experience representing the best interests of children in family law matter. Mary, along with our family law attorneys, act as advocates for families throughout the Atlanta and Marietta area and will help understand your options. Contact us through our contact form and schedule an initial consultation today.