- by Mary Stearns-Montgomery
- in Divorce
It is extremely important that you hire an attorney trained in divorce and family law when going through the divorce process, especially if you are fighting for child custody. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when searching for your divorce attorney.
- Trained attorneys – While many attorneys who hold themselves out as practicing family law may be equipped to handle a number of family law matters, it is best to find an attorney that is trained and experienced in what you need. Hiring an attorney that is trained and experienced in child custody is going to know the ins and outs of child custody better than a general family law attorney.
- Attorney Fees – It is important to ask during an initial consultation what the attorney fees and retainers are. Everybody has different budgets when going through a divorce and you don’t want to be surprised after you hire the attorney. Don’t be afraid to ask how often you will be invoiced along with any other questions you may have about fees and expenses.
- Find testimonials or recommendations – It is always best to do your homework when it comes to finding a good divorce lawyer. Search around for testimonials and reviews on them and see what their reputation is around town. If you can’t find anything you can ask the firm for some references you can contact.
- Feeling comfortable – Above all one of the most important things when choosing a divorce attorney is feeling comfortable with them. You are going to be working closely with your attorney during a very emotional time in your life and you don’t want to have an attorney that you feel like you can’t open up to. You have to be confident in your attorney’s ability and their commitment to you and your case.
The bottom line is before settling on a Georgia divorce lawyer make sure you have done your homework and feel confident in your decision.