- by Natalie Tyler
- in More
Domestic partnerships are becoming more common and are gaining more media attention. Each state and jurisdiction has different requirements regarding domestic partnerships, and keeping track of the different laws by state can be a confusing endeavor. We've put together some important points for those seeking domestic partnership agreements in Georgia.
Who Does It Apply To?
Domestic partnerships are oftentimes associated with same-sex couples, which is true, but it can also apply to opposite-sex couples that wish to be together, but not married, or to those who are not legally allowed to be married for another reason.
Where in Georgia Does This Apply?
Here are the options in Georgia for domestic partnership agreements:
- Athens-Clarke County: Couples here can be either same-sex or opposite-sex.
- Fulton County: There is limit to only same-sex couples.
- City of Atlanta: Atlanta itself is open to same-sex and opposite-sex couples. Read more about Atlanta's ordinances about domestic partnerships.
Read more about the locations here.
Why Would Someone Apply?
We've found that some people either can't or don't want to get married. There can be a lack of trust with finances, or perhaps someone is simply against marriage itself. There are a variety of reasons why domestic partnerships are sought.
What Benefits Can You Receive?
Becoming part of a domestic partnership agreement can give you the following benefits:
- Add your partner to your employer benefits
- Designate your partner as the healthcare decider in case you unable to do so
- Jail benefits/ visitation
However, at present, you are unable to receive tax benefits. Again, all jurisdictions have different requirements, so it is important to do your research.
At Stearns-Montgomery & Proctor, we're here to help and be the expert on legal topics. If you have questions about domestic partnership agreements, please feel free to call (678) 971-3413 or complete our contact form. We have offices located in Atlanta, Marietta, Alpharetta, and Dunwoody.