- by Mary Stearns-Montgomery
- in Divorce
Going to your first meeting with a divorce lawyer can be an overwhelming experience. You may be intimidated by the lawyer’s office or feel unsure about the process and nervous about your unknown future. Preparing before will ensure that you get the most out of the meeting and leave you feeling sure about your decision and the process going forward. Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your first meeting with your divorce lawyer:
- Arrive early: It may sound like a given but arriving a few minutes early to your appointment will help get the meeting off to a smooth start. Often times there is some preliminary paperwork you are required to fill out and you don’t want to take up your appointment time doing this.
- Prepare a list of questions: In the weeks or days leading up to your appointment make a list of any questions that come to mind that you will want to ask your divorce lawyer.
- Review your finances before your appointment: If you maintain your family’s household finances make sure you review all accounts, credits, loans, stock, debts, etc. before your appointment. It is necessary for your divorce lawyer to have an idea of the finances before you begin the process. If you do not have access to this information your attorney can request the information.
- Bring any applicable paperwork: If you were the party that was served with divorce papers, make sure you bring them with you to your first appointment. Your divorce lawyer will want to review them and can interpret anything you might not understand.
It is extremely important that you leave your first meeting feeling comfortable with your divorce lawyer and trusting them to represent you. If not this might not be the lawyer for you.