Post Divorce Checklist
The divorce process can often times be lengthy and emotionally draining, which makes it a relief when it is done. While it might seem like all the work is done after the divorce is final there can still be loose ends to tie up. Here is a short checklist of common things that need to be taken care of after a divorce.
Divorce Checklist—11 Essential Items to Review
- Change beneficiaries on all accounts in which a beneficiary has been designated, such as life insurance and retirement accounts.
- Make sure you have a copy of your divorce decree or settlement agreement in case you need it for any transfers of property or accounts.
- Make sure all joint accounts are closed and things are divided appropriately.
- Make sure there are no joint outstanding checks or debts to be paid.
- Establish credit with new credit cards in your name only
- Make arrangements for any property distribution so nothing gets left behind.
- Transfer of automobiles with updated title, registration and tags.
- Make sure all insurance (health, auto, life) is in the correct name and address
- Modify any wills that are in place
- Make any name changes that are necessary are made
- Keep a record of any child support payments and visitation schedules
Contact Our Atlanta Family Law Attorneys Today
You don’t need to go through the divorce process alone. Our team of experienced divorce attorneys at Stearns-Montgomery & Proctor will help you discuss your case, understand the Georgia divorce process, your options and rights, and help you through this process. With three offices in Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Marietta, we proudly service our clients throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area.
Schedule a consultation today by calling us at 678-971-3413 or completing a contact