- by Mary Stearns-Montgomery
- in Adoption
Adopting a child is a big decision for a couple to make and the process is often long and grueling. Here are a few tips to make the process of adopting a child a little easier on you and your family.
Try these Adoption Tips
- Know all your options: It is important to consider all of your options and do your homework when considering adoption. Take into consideration adopting domestically as well as internationally, as there are different legal aspects to both. Inter-family adoptions need special attention to timing. A grandparent or a step-parent may not feel the need to move quickly when the biological parent isn’t taking responsibility, however if the biological parent changes his or her mind he or she has complete power to take the child at will, even if a Guardianship is in place.
- Be specific about what you are open to: Remember to be specific when talking to an adoption agency about what you and your spouse are capable of and open to handling. It is better to be specific and open with regard to a child with physical disabilities, health issues, mental issues relating to the child’s past, as well as race and gender.
- Have a support group: Adopting a child is a very emotional process and it is beneficial to have a strong support system around to keep your spirits up and encourage you not to give up if something goes differently than expected. If you do not have immediate family for support, there are blogs and chat groups you can join to find support from other families going through the same process.
- Rely on a skilled family law attorney: An experienced adoption attorney will have the knowledge and the resources to help guide you through the adoption process. A practiced family law attorney will understand how to overcome the myriad of obstacles in the adoption process.
- Give yourself realistic expectations: It is important to keep in mind that the child you are adopting might not be perfect. It may take the child some time to warm up or accept a new family. Adoptive children need unconditional love and reassurance that they are loved and you accept and support them no matter what before they feel safe and comfortable.
Adopting a child is extremely rewarding, and is an incredible act of compassion. The adoption process can be logistically complicated at times, but a capable family law attorney can help navigate through some of the difficulty.