Family Law & Criminal Attorney
Lance has been an attorney for 10 years. While attending law school, he won the class award for the highest grade in criminal law. He also won the Joseph N. Spencer III award for most outstanding law review article based on his submission analyzing the aggravating factors in death penalty cases and the need to restructure and narrowly tailor them. After law school, he began his career in Bartow County’s Public Defender’s Office before joining Stearns-Montgomery & Proctor in April 2011.
Lance continues to handle criminal work, including having two kidnapping cases against fathers who were arrested during highly contested custody disputes dismissed prior to trial. He now focuses on family law as much as criminal. He is honored that his peers still recognize him as a legal elite in the area of criminal law. Both specialties call for passionate representation during difficult times for a client.
Practicing at SM&P offers Lance an opportunity to excel in both areas of practice.
His clients describe him as personable, a fighter when needed, and a man of his word who will go the extra mile to protect their rights. He works closely with each client to set realistic goals and then battles tenaciously to deliver the expected results.
When not practicing law, Lance plays an active role in the community. He has coached children's sports and is an avid ALTA tennis player. Lance also enjoys watching the Georgia Bulldogs and running and playing with his two rescued puppies, Lucky and Foxy.
Certification / Specialties
- Holds a certificate of completion in Forensic Alcohol Consulting and Training, LLC
- Collaborative Law; International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, 2019
- Trained in Collaborative Practice and meet IACP Standards and Ethics
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia, 2011
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 2011
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 2009
- Georgia, 2008
University of South Dakota School of Law
Vermillion, South Dakota, 2008
Juris Doctor Law Review – John N. Spencer, III, Award
Excellence Award for Criminal Law
Vice-President of Trial Team Association
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA, 2004
Bachelor of Business Administration
Major: Business Management; Minor: Political Science Dean's List
Honors & Awards
Awarded as 2017 'Legal Elite' by Georgia Trend Magazine
Atlanta, Georgia, 2017
- Mitchell v. The State. Dawson v. The State, 312 Ga. App. 293, 2011
- Poole v. The State, 302 Ga. App. 464, 2010
- Mallory v. The State, 306 Ga. App. 684,2010
- Davis v. The State, 306 Ga. App. 185, 2010